Royals Field

Awarded in 2008
Royals Field

Baseball, the summer game, was also, in its origins, the mill town game, the natural recreation of workers who toiled in the mills of the 19th and early 20th centuries. So it was that Marysville, the textile and lumber town that Alexander “Boss” Gibson named for his wife Mary, was a baseball town, too. They were playing the game on Baseball Hill, just up from the red brick mill houses, more than a century ago. One of the first improvements to the former cow pasture was a rail fence, erected in 1911 to keep the baseballers in and the bovines out. Later, loads of clay from a nearby brickyard were hauled in to make one of the finest fields in New Brunswick. In the buoyant days after the Second World War, volunteers added a new fence, dressing rooms, a canteen, and bleachers for 2000 fans. Royals Field, named for the home team, became a baseball epicentre, especially during playoff time, when fans round the province put their ears to the radio and strained to pick up scores from Radio Station CFNB in Fredericton. Other field changes followed, including, of course, lights for night baseball. Though Marysville is now part of Fredericton, Royals Field remains a classic small-town ballpark, where regional and national tournaments have been held, the home nine have sometimes won, and big league scouts have found several future semi-professional and professional ballplayers.