tour banner
Fredericton Heritage Trust York Street Audio Tour
 


tour menu

Join Us On FaceBook

Support the FHT
City of Fredericton
York Street School / York House, York Street Audio Tour, Fredericton Heritage Trust, New Brunswick, Canada

Previous | Next

Click for full list of buildings on tourRight next door is the large three storey, red brick building. It was known earlier as the York Street School. It was designed by the prominent Nova Scotian architect James Charles Philip Dumaresq (1844 to 1906). By the way, his other major building designs downtown are the Provincial Legislature, the Randolph building just west of City Hall, the former Charlotte Street School (now the Charlotte Street Arts Centre (with H.H. Mott) and St. Paul’s United Church.

What you see now on York Street was built in 1893 on the site of the 1835-built Baptist Seminary building. From 1893 until 1923 York Street School operated as the Fredericton High School, but when a new high school was built on George Street in 1924, this building became an elementary school. Then in 1965 the Baptist church bought it and renamed it York House. Forty two years later, in 2007, the City of Fredericton acquired the building from the church as part of a settlement to save it from demolition. Today it serves as residences. Ted Jones wrote a great “Flashback” article on the school.

Previous | Next

 

 

Tour Footer